Robb Residential wishes you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and a peaceful and prosperous New Year
20th December – 23rd December – 9am – 5:30pm
24th December – 28th December – Closed
29th December – 30th December – 9am – 5:30pm
31st December – 4th January – Closed
5th January – 7th January – 9am – 5:30pm.
From 1895 a pretty turret fronted detached lodge house on the southern end of the delightful west coast island of Gigha.
South Lodge Is a pretty detached lodge cottage of white painted harled finish and under a slated and tiled roof and with a pretty turret at the front. The house dates from 1895 and has until recently been used by the Trust as an income producing holiday letting property.
Curved outer storm door to stone floored entrance vestibule, opaque glazed door to reception hallway with shelved store, triple aspect sitting room with working open fire and timber mantle, hatch access to roof void, dining room, small inner hallway leading to bathroom in white painted timber lining, bedrooms 1 & 2 are front facing and dual aspect, kitchen with dining and breakfasting areas, utility room at rear with electrical switch gear and door to rear gardens.
Staircase to first floor upper hallway, bathroom with velux window, bedrooms 3 & 4 both with front facing velux windows and fitted furniture.
Attached outhouse, two x detached outhouses and open fronted store.
Gate and railings set in dwarf wall to front gardens which are to mature level grass with colourful hydrangeas, fuscia, mixed shrubs and bushes. A pathway leads to the rear gardens which are bounded by a stone wall and surrounding woodlands. The rear gardens are mainly to level grass; a driveway comes in at the rear from a turning roundel and is entered via a timber gate. Adjacent, are additional wall bounded gardens to grass with yucca palms, eucalyptus tree and assorted shrubs and bushes.
South Lodge is situated at the southern end of the charming west coast of Scotlands Island of Gigha.
Gigha is 2.8 miles west of the Kintyre peninsula with a regular ferry service. The property is situated amid mature level gardens fringed with semi ancient native woodlands from the grounds of neighbouring Achamore House.
Gigha has a primary school, shop/post office, hotel with bar, church with regular services and a Michelin Star recommended restaurant. On the mainland, the town of Campbeltown is 22 miles to the south and has two major supermarkets, garages, a full range of shops and professional services, a secondary school, an A&E hospital with an emergency air-ambulance service to Glasgow, leisure facilities (including a modern swimming pool), library and a cinema. Tarbert is 23 miles north and has good local shops and services.
From Tarbert, there are regular ferry links to Portavadie, which gives access to an alternative route to Glasgow via Dunoon and Gourock for commuters. From Kennacraig, there are regular ferry trips to Islay.
There is also a runway strip for light aircraft and microlights on the island.
For sporting/outdoor enthusiasts, Gigha has its own 9 hole golf course, and the coastline offers wonderful opportunities for fishing, walking, bird watching and a variety of water sports. Kit can be hired on the island. There is a recently upgraded pontoon and mooring.
The west of Scotland is world famous for its scenic sailing waters, and around the Mull of Kintyre area leads to the protected waters around Loch Fyne and the Firth of Clyde as well as the scenic Kyles of Bute. North of Gigha leads to the north west coast and the Hebrides.
Productive sea fishing from shore and boat is available locally and there are trout and salmon opportunities by permit in surrounding islands, mainland rivers and hill lochs.
Gigha is the most southerly and one of the most beautiful of the Hebridean Islands. Seven miles long by a mile and a half wide, Gigha is situated 2.8 miles west of the Kintyre peninsula, approximately three hours drive from the City of Glasgow, with a 20 minute roll on and off ferry every hour. Gigha is easily described as breathtaking white sandy beaches, clear blue/green seas and a host of wildlife. The climate is pleasantly mild as a result of the Gulfstream.
The History of Gigha
Step ashore on the Isle of Gigha and you are following in the tracks of the Scots who settled on Kintyre and the Hebrides from Ireland. Of the Vikings who plundered those settlements from distant Scandinavia and of the Norse King Hakon, who also gave the isle its name, Gudey, the Good Isle. The Gaels adjusted the name to Gigha (Pronounced Geea) as time passed.
Throughout history, the isle has been noted for its fertile soil; from 1700 until 1850 it was completely without trees, until the owner planted the woods around Achamore House. Its value in terms of agriculture is reflected throughout its history – good land provided men and women who could carry arms and take part in the islands battles, with the means to survive and prosper. About the time of the fall of the Lord of the Isles, in 1493, Gigha came into the possession of the family of MacNeill of Taynish. The family fought many bitter disputes with the Macdonald Clan to hold onto the island until finally selling it in 1790 to another branch of the Clan Neill, the MacNeills of Colonsay. Thereafter the island has had many owners, the Scarletts, Allens, Hamers – until in 1944 it was sold to Sir James Horlick, when the story of the creation of the great gardens of Achamore began.
The Isle of Gigha Heritage Trust own the Isle of Gigha, including Achamore Gardens.
The small island of Cara, to the south has remained the property of the MacDonalds of Largie, the last link with the Lord of the Isles. There are MacNeills still in Gigha, amongst the 160 inhabitants.
From Glasgow take the A82 and A83 to reach the west coast town/port of Tarbert. Take the A83 out of Tarbert following signs for Campbeltown. After about 18.5 miles arrive at the ferry port Tayinloan. The roll on roll off ferry is a short crossing to Gigha. Once on the island, turn left at the village shop/post office and head in a southerly direction for 1.2 miles to find South Lodge on the right hand side.
Argyll & Bute Council
Tel: 01546 602127.
South Lodge is serviced by a mains water supply, mains electricity, oil fired central heating, drainage is by private septic tank.
Note: The services have not been checked by the selling agents.
South Lodge is in Council tax band D and the amount payable for 2018/2019 is £1,451.14 excluding sewerage.
Strictly by appointment with Robb Residential, telephone 0141 225 3880.
Vacant possession will be given on completion.
Offers are to be submitted in Scottish legal terms to the selling agents Robb Residential, 150 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5NE. A closing date for offers will probably be fixed and prospective purchasers are advised to register their interest with the selling agents in order to be kept fully informed of any closing date that may be fixed.
Fixtures and fittings
All items normally known as tenants fixtures and fittings, including garden ornaments and statuary, are specifically excluded from the sale. However, certain items, including light fittings and furniture may be available to a purchaser in addition, by separate negotiation.