Woodend is a very pretty detached property which is located within the southern end of the island.
Woodend is a very pretty detached property which is located within the southern end of the island. The house is of exposed stone construction under a slated roof and part corrugated steel sheet roof.
Main front door to entrance porch way, family bathroom, inner front door to entrance hallway, kitchen, under stair storage cupboard, sitting room with log burner, additional sitting/sun room with exposed stone feature wall.
Via a wooden staircase to first floor, bedroom 1 & 2 with 1 x velux window, 1 x storage cupboard.
Woodend is a very pretty detached property situated at the southern end of the charming west coast of Scotlands Island of Gigha.
Gigha is 2.8 miles west of the Kintyre peninsula with a regular ferry service. The property is situated amid mature level gardens fringed with semi ancient native woodlands from the grounds of neighbouring Achamore House.
Gigha has a primary school, shop/post office, hotel with bar, church with regular services and a Michelin Guide recommended restaurant. On the mainland, the town of Campbeltown is 22 miles to the south and has two major supermarkets, garages, a full range of shops and professional services, a secondary school, an A&E hospital with an emergency air-ambulance service to Glasgow, leisure facilities (including a modern swimming pool), library and a cinema. Tarbert is 23 miles north and has good local shops and services.
From Tarbert, there are regular ferry links to Portavadie, which gives access to an alternative route to Glasgow via Dunoon and Gourock for commuters. From Kennacraig, there are regular ferry trips to Islay.There is also a runway strip for light aircraft and microlights on the island.
For sporting/outdoor enthusiasts, Gigha has its own 9 hole golf course, and the coastline offers wonderful opportunities for fishing, walking, bird watching and a variety of water sports. Kit can be hired on the island. There is a recently upgraded pontoon and mooring.
The west of Scotland is world famous for its scenic sailing waters, and around the Mull of Kintyre area leads to the protected waters around Loch Fyne and the Firth of Clyde as well as the scenic Kyles of Bute. North of Gigha leads to the north west coast and the Hebrides.
Productive sea fishing from shore and boat is available locally and there are trout and salmon opportunities by permit in surrounding islands, mainland rivers and hill lochs.
Gigha is the most southerly and one of the most beautiful of the Hebridean Islands. Seven miles long by a mile and a half wide, Gigha is situated 2.8 miles west of the Kintyre peninsula, approximately three hours drive from the City of Glasgow, with a 20 minute roll on and off ferry every hour. Gigha is easily described as breathtaking white sandy beaches, clear blue/green seas and a host of wildlife. The climate is pleasantly mild as a result of the Gulfstream.
The History of Gigha
Step ashore on the Isle of Gigha and you are following in the tracks of the Scots who settled on Kintyre and the Hebrides from Ireland. Of the Vikings who plundered those settlements from distant Scandinavia and of the Norse King Hakon, who also gave the isle its name, Gudey, the Good Isle. The Gaels adjusted the name to Gigha (Pronounced Geea) as time passed.
Throughout history, the isle has been noted for its fertile soil; from 1700 until 1850 it was completely without trees, until the owner planted the woods around Achamore House. Its value in terms of agriculture is reflected throughout its history – good land provided men and women who could carry arms and take part in the islands battles, with the means to survive and prosper. About the time of the fall of the Lord of the Isles, in 1493, Gigha came into the possession of the family of MacNeill of Taynish. The family fought many bitter disputes with the Macdonald Clan to hold onto the island until finally selling it in 1790 to another branch of the Clan Neill, the MacNeills of Colonsay. Thereafter the island has had many owners, the Scarletts, Allens, Hamers – until in 1944 it was sold to Sir James Horlick, when the story of the creation of the great gardens of Achamore began.
The Isle of Gigha Heritage Trust own the Isle of Gigha, including Achamore Gardens. The small island of Cara, to the south has remained the property of the MacDonalds of Largie, the last link with the Lord of the Isles. There are MacNeills still in Gigha, amongst the 160 inhabitants.
Exposed stone byre under a corrugated steel sheet roof, 2 x corrugated steel outbuildings used for additional storage.
Via a timber county style gate to private gravel driveway, hard standing and vehicular turning. Front gardens are mainly to mature level grass surrounded by a stone wall. Rear gardens are also mainly to grass and are bounded by a post and wire fence, surrounding woodlands and a pretty stream.
Argyll & Bute Council
Tel: 01546 602127.
Mains water supply, mains electricity, oil fired central heating, drainage is by private septic tank.
Note: The services have not been checked by the selling agents.
Woodend is in Council tax band A and the amount payable for 2019/2020 is £1009.59 excluding sewerage.
Strictly by appointment with Robb Residential, telephone 0141 225 3880.
Vacant possession will be given on completion.
Offers are to be submitted in Scottish legal terms to the selling agents Robb Residential, 150 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5NE. Prospective purchasers are advised to register their interest with the selling agents in order to be kept fully informed of any closing date that may be fixed.
Fixtures and fittings
All items normally known as tenants fixtures and fittings. However, certain items, including light fittings and furniture may be available to a purchaser in addition, by separate negotiation.
Photographs and particulars taken in February 2019.
From Glasgow take the A82 and A83 to reach the west coast town/port of Tarbert. Take the A83 out of Tarbert following signs for Campbeltown. After about 18.5 miles arrive at the ferry port Tayinloan. The roll on roll off ferry is a short crossing to Gigha. Once on the island, turn left at the village shop/post office and head in a southerly direction for 1 miles to find Woodend on the right hand side.