A hidden gem of a country house in Renfrewshire with historic Castle ruin.
Elliston House is a distinctive detached house which dates from 1937. It has pleasant and well balanced architecture and it is completed for the most part in white painted smooth render exterior finish with red Kentish brick relief at base course and chimney heads. There are distinctive terra cotta tile sills, overhung eaves and the whole is under a red Rosemary style tiled roof.
The house faces due west and is set amid formal and informal country gardens which extend in all to about 3 acres. Within the grounds there are strategically located patios and terraces which provide sheltered and sun trap outdoor spaces for alfresco dining and sundowners. The gardens feature a colourful showing of Azaleas and Rhododendrons and are extensively fringed with mature mixed semi ancient native and specimen trees which provide interest, amenity, shelter and seclusion. Within the grounds are the protected relics of ancient Elliston Castle.
Red terra cotta tile steps to twin leaf outer storm doors to entrance vestibule with quarry tile floor, bevel glazed door to broad entrance reception hallway with oak parquet flooring, cloak room with coat hooks and separate wc, fine drawing room with feature working open fireplace in Adam style with marble slips and 2 flanking windows, deep bay window formation, oak parquet flooring and French doors with access to gardens, communicating door to formal dining room with bay window formation and window box seating, French doors to patio and gardens, return door to servery and butlers prep area, under stairs stores cupboard. Inner hallway leading to utility room with ceiling mounted pulley, steel sink and fitted stores, library with fitted furniture and stores offering good home office or study space. Good sized kitchen with space for informal dining and breakfasting table and chairs, matching base and wall units, integrated white goods, gas hob and 4 oven Aga range cooker. Rear hallway with door to gardens, second cloakroom & wc, sitting room with coal burning living flame effect gas fire, Edinburgh press, twin leaf French doors to conservatory with Amtico flooring and twin leaf doors to patio and gardens.
Staircase to split at ¾ landing, full landing leading to bedroom 1 with bay window formation and fitted wardrobes, bathroom, dressing room with fitted wardrobe and wash hand basin, bedroom 2 with wash hand basin, main family bathroom, cleaners stores with Belfast sink, bedroom 3 with wash hand basin and cupboard, fitted linen stores with access to attic space via retractable ladder, further linen stores at top hallway, bedroom 4 with wash hand basin, bedroom 5 with wash hand basin, fitted wardrobes and open fireplace with tiled slips.
Fixed staircase from dressing room to fully floored and lined attic room with access to floored loft and long-term stores in eaves spaces.
Coal house & oil tank store
Double garage with concrete floor
Vented log store
Gas bottle store
Oil fired boiler house
Garden equipment and machinery store
Dog kennel and fenced enclosure
Conifer lined, courtesy dusk lit driveway,
bounded by post and rail stock proof fencing.
Mixed trees underplanted with rhododendrons
and bush plants line the drive. Lawn bounded
by privet hedging leading to red whin chip
stone vehicle turning and hardstanding apron.
Fence and gate leading to inner driveway, back
door, garaging and outhouses. A red
sandstone crazy paved pathway leads to front
gardens which are laid to mown lawns with
central raised level lawn bounded by mixed
shrubs and colourful bush plants. The
perimeter of the gardens is bounded by mature
semi ancient native trees which ensure privacy,
shelter and seclusion. There are strategically
located sheltered stone patios and a pathway
with steps leads to wilded upper gardens which
are to grass and trees and provide excellent
Elliston Castle is a ruined 15th century castle
and courtyard. The basement was vaulted.
It was a property of the Semple family but it
was abandoned about 1550 for Castle Semple
and partly demolished in 1735.
In 1905 the old castle is recorded as still
standing, but in exceedingly
ruinous condition. Further demolition took
place in 1950 due to the deteriorating condition
of the castle.
Tel: 0141 842 5000.
Mains water supply, drainage is by private septic tank, double glazing, oil fired central heating, bottled gas supply, oil fired Aga.
Note: The services have not been checked by the selling agents.
Elliston House is in Band H and the amount of council tax payable for 2022/23 is £3,762.26 including water.
EPC rating F.
Elliston House is situated in mature, private and sheltered woodland gardens on the fringe of the village of Howwood and delightful rolling west Renfrewshire countryside and farmland.
Elliston House provides wonderful country home living in pretty countryside and whilst rural, the house remains wonderfully convenient to travel and road links.
Surrounding Renfrewshire villages of Lochwinnoch, Kilbarchan, Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm all offer a good range of local shops, cafes and welcoming village and country pubs, together with a good range of amenities that comfortably cater for every day needs and requirements. Primary schooling is available at Howwood and Kilbarchan with secondary schooling in both the state and private sectors in the district. Johnstone High School is 3.5 miles and the independent St Columbas school in Kilmacolm (9 miles) has an enviable record of academic achievement with both junior and senior schools.
The area is well served by supermarkets, some of the villages have co-op stores and there are larger Morrisons & Tesco stores within a few miles.
A complete range of professional services, higher education, cultural and retail are all available in Glasgow city some 14 miles to the east.
The A737 is the main trunk route to and from Glasgow Airport and the city, as well as south to Prestwick Airport and the Ayrshire coastline.
Howwood (0.75 mile) has a mainline railway station with a frequent service to and from Glasgow city. Glasgow airport is about 6.5 miles to the east and there is a convenient on/off slip to the A737, which is the main arterial road route connecting with Ayrshire, the M8 motorway corridor, central Scotland and beyond.
Leisure services and facilities are wide and varied. Bowfield Country Club and Spa is about 0.5 miles to the south and there is a David Lloyd Health and Racquets Centre at Renfrew. The village of Houston is home to Strathgryffe Tennis & Squash Club which, with its 4 indoor and 6 outdoor tennis courts, makes it one of the best racquet centres in Scotland.
Inland sailing and rowing are available on Castle Semple Loch and the Firth of Clyde has a number of marinas with connected marine and chandlery services and it also provides quick access to some of the most scenic coastal sailing in Europe.
Castle Semple also lies within the Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park, a ranger protected wildlife and outdoor facility with interesting walks, bird sanctuary and a link with the Sustrans cycle path and walkway which connects to many other parts of central Scotland. Wildlife is a feature at Elliston House with regular sightings of Roe deer and bird life, the wilded gardens providing excellent natural habitat.
As with many parts of Scotland one is never too far from a golf course and Elliston House is no exception, there are courses at Lochwinnoch, Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm.
From Glasgow city centre proceed west on the M8 motorway. After 9 miles take junction 29 (A737) following signs Irvine. Continue on the A737 for 4.5 miles turning left signposted Howwood B787. Proceed back into the village and after 150 yards turn right onto Elliston Castle Road, proceed up Elliston Castle Road for 0.1 miles to find the entrance to Elliston House on the left hand side.