Property SummarySet in wonderful parkland gardens fringing Houston village, a substantial and immediately appealing mansion house conversion in gracious surroundings.
The Garden Wing has been formed by the south western wing of Houston House and is one of only six homes within this beautiful and sensitive category B listed mansion house conversion. Houston House stands prominently within beautiful formal parkland and ornamental water gardens. The building is of substantial solid hewn stone under slated roofs with interesting towers, turrets and crow stepped gables, creating and complimenting the grandeur.
Stone gate piers are at the entrance to Houston House and a sweeping driveway encircles a grass roundel with ancient and tall mature trees, before leading to a gravel vehicle turning and hard standing apron with stone balustrade.
Ground floor, outer hallway leading via Great Hall to Garden Wing entrance, reception hallway with fireplace, open to morning room, door to turret stair to Garden Wing private gardens. Drawing room (original library) with complete range of dressed timber full height bookcases on all walls, working open fireplace.
Garden Level, stone turret stair to garden level study/hallway, twin leaf doors to formal dining room with hardwood floor and bevel glass door to gardens. Door to beautifully refitted Plain English kitchen with flag stone floor, polished slate worktops, incorporating copper sinks in Belfast style, electric 4 oven Aga range cooker, window box seat and good space for breakfasting/informal dining table and chairs. Inner hallway leading to bedroom 4, bathroom with freestanding painted stone bath, utility room with pulley and airing/boiler cupboard, return staircase to reception hallway and morning room.
First Floor, staircase from reception hallway leading to galleried upper hallway with fireplace and natural light from Velux window. bedroom 1 (master) a grand room with fitted furniture, seating around fairy tale turret, fireplace and dual aspect, bedroom 2, dual aspect and with fitted bedroom furniture, bedroom 3 with wash hand basin and fitted furniture, tiled shower room, separate refitted bathroom with French style roll top bath, complimentary ceramics and traditional high flush wc and timber seat.
The Garden Wing has dedicated private gardens attached to the house. Access is from a gate from the driveway and sweep, a turret door from the morning room and door from the dining room. The gardens are sheltered and secluded, made so by a stone wall draped with climbers and mature yew hedge. The gardens are laid to a level lawn with stocked beds and borders, shrubs, bushes and trees.
Houston House is set in parkland policies of about 6 acres. Stone gate piers lead along a black top driveway to a large gravel sweep and turning apron bounded by decorative stone balustrade. The gardens are mainly to mown grass and lawns with feature yew box hedging, circular water feature, and semi ancient native woodlands and specimen trees. The 6 owners who occupy the properties have the right to access and use the grounds.
The Garden Wing has a single garage with wash bay.
The residents of Houston House enjoy the right, by prior arrangement, to make use of the Great Hall for entertaining and special occasions. The Great Hall has much character and many preserved features, panelling, stone pillars and arches, an open log fire, chandeliers, detailed cornice and plaster work as well as a dedicated kitchen and wc.
The lands of what is now the village of Houston were originally called Kilpeter, meaning the chapel of Peter. They were transferred by baronial grant to Hugo de Padvinan, a French nobleman and Knight Templar, around 1160. The village which grew up around his castle took its name from Hugo Hughs toun, now Houston.
Hugos successors adopted the family name Houstoun. The records in the neighbouring Houston & Killellan Kirk show that the final occupant of the castle was Sir John Houstoun who died in 1751. It is said that one of his family was sentenced to be hanged for fatally wounding his adversary in an illegal duel, so the family left the castle and emigrated to America. General Sam Houston (1793-1863), the founding father of the State of Texas whose largest city bears his name, was a great grandson of Sir John Houstoun, thereby establishing a direct lineage between Houston House, Houston Renfrewshire and Houston Texas.
Following the emigration of the Houstouns, the old village was cleared from around the castle. A new village of 35 cottages was built in 1781 using stone from the castle. The First Statistical account in the late 1700s says of Houston: Inns are frequent and their effects obvious, a historical trend which has not diminished through the years.
Alexander Speirs of Elderlie, owner of Speirs Wharf, amassed enormous wealth between 1745 and his death in 1782. He was a leading tobacco lord worth at that time around £153,000, equivalent to around £133m today. He used this to acquire estates in Renfrewshire, Lanarkshire and Sirlingshire, including Houston Castle and its grounds.
The present building, now known as Houston House, was built by Lady Anne Speirs between 1872 and 1905 to a design by David Thompson. The design involved the building of a number of wings to create the House in its present form, and incorporated the small remaining part of Houston Castle into what is now the West Wing. The large Cedar of Lebanon tree in the grounds of the south of the House still bears the plaque placed there by Lady Anne Speirs in 1867 before the building work began.
The final sole owners and occupiers of the House were the Crichton Maitland family. Mark Crichton Maitland subdivided the House into its present discrete wings between 1994 and 1997. It now comprises six dwelling houses the Garden Wing, Langdales, West Wing, East Wing, Courtyard and Tower. The House is now co-owned by the owners of these six wings.
Two portraits of Lady Anne still hang in the Great Hall which also houses the original Collard & Collard piano she bought following the completion of the House.
Houston House is situated amid beautiful parkland and formal gardens on the fringe of the popular and highly accessible west Renfrewshire village of Houston.
Houston is surrounded by attractive rolling countryside and yet is only 7 miles from Glasgow International airport. The village has a bus service to Glasgow and there is a main line rail station at Johnstone (4 miles).
Houston village has reputable primary and secondary schooling. The Garden Wing is within the catchment for Gryffe High School, ranked 6th in The Heralds top 50 state schools. Glasgow has numerous independent schools and St Columbas in Kilmacolm (5 miles) has an independent day school for girls and boys (between 3 18 years www.st-columbas.org )
Local shopping is available at the Phoenix centre and at the Braehead retail village which has Sainsbury and M&S anchor stores.
Glasgow city (14 miles) has all the cultural, higher educational and leisure services normally associated with a major international centre.
Kilmacolm has an 18 hole park/heath land golf course and Bridge of Weir has 2 fine golf courses - Old Ranfurly & Ranfurly Castle which are both popular and challenging 18-hole parkland courses.
The river Gryffe runs through Houston and it is possible, by permit, to fish for brown trout, sea trout and salmon. The river has runs of salmon at the back end.
Castle Semple loch offers inland sailing and the Firth of Clyde has excellent chandlery and marina services as well as some of the UKs most scenic and enjoyable coastal sailing.
Houston has a squash and tennis club and at Renfrew there is a David Lloyd fitness centre.
From Glasgow city centre proceed in a westerly direction on the M8 motorway. Travel for 10 miles, bear left at junction 29 following signs Irvine on the A737. After 2.8 miles take the Johnstone exit. Turn right at the traffic lights and proceed on Barrochan Road for 2.2 miles. At the roundabout, turn right onto Houston Road. After 0.5 miles turn left, continue for 0.3 miles then turn right onto Kirk Road. Proceed along Kirk Road and immediately after the Houston Church on the right, turn right into the gates of Houston House. Continue around the driveway to reach the gravel apron in front of the main entrance.
Renfrewshire Council, Tel: 0141 842 5000
Mains water, electricity, mains drainage, mains gas, gas central heating.
Note: The services have not been checked by the selling agents.
Houston House is self-factored among the six owner occupiers, for which there are monthly/annual charges.
The Garden Wing is in Band G and the amount of council tax payable for 2018/2019 is £3,078.28.